Livin' the Dream

Livin' the Dream

About Me

I am a sophomore at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA, majoring in journalism. My passion is cycling. I am a category 4 bike racer and my absolute dream would be to turn pro one day. My more realistic goal is to become a journalist for the sport of cycling and eventually move on to become a broadcaster for the sport.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

#TimeToMoveToBoulder

I recently finished the most exciting and brutal week of my life -- The Denver Post Ride the Rockies with the Davis Phinney Foundation. I rode 545 miles in 7 days while covering over 22,000 feet of climbing and managed to raise almost $2,700 for the foundation while riding for my dad who battles Parkinson's Disease everyday. Let me just say Colorado is not a flat state, but being a little guy that's fine with me. Coming from sea level I was huffing and puffing the first day. The week turned out to be a scorcher with temperatures in the upper 80's and low 90's everyday. It was just a fantastic week with learning more about Parkinson's Disease and getting to ride and meet cycling legends.


The week started off with a bang with Connie Carpenter coming along for the first three days to be part of the sag crew for the riders who were riding for the foundation. It was pretty sweet to get to talk to her about riding and racing. She introduced me to George Hincapie who was there, which I guess is pretty cool because he's a freaking LEGEND!!! I got to ride with George the next day and let me just say, he looks mighty thin for being retired. Connie also introduced me to Wayne Stetina who later became my riding buddy for the week. Wayne was just awesome, he talked to me about training and racing and pushed me to the limit the whole week. We did not have a ride day over 5 hours and that's including the two brutal 90+ mile days. I also got to meet Bob Roll, Chris Carmichael, and Ron Keifel, just to drop a few names. I felt like I was at a reunion for the 7-Eleven team from the 90's. It was just an incredible week of riding and meeting with people that I have only read about or watched on TV.


Connie introducing me to George

This week was also a very inspirational week since I was riding for and with the Davis Phinney Foundation. It was truly amazing to see teammates with Parkinson's disease complete the route. Those are some tough people. It really shows what you can accomplish when you put your mind to it. It was great to be able to discuss with people how Parkinson's develops and progresses, so I can prepare for how my dad will be in the future.


When the week came to a close it was very disappointing. I'm going to miss all the people I met out in Colorado especially my three adopted mom's for the week, Polly, Lauren and Jena. Colorado is just an amazing state, with the beautiful views and everyone there is pretty laid back and loves cyclists. Maybe sometime in the future Boulder will become my home.


Living the Dream,
Mike





No comments :

Post a Comment